Tuesday, December 27, 2011

30 Days of Gaming: Day 27

Day 27 - A Game I Thought I Would Hate, But Ended Up Loving


Today is all about the big surprises that sometimes land in our laps.  You know the ones: they are the games that come out without any fan-fare, cost little and have silly titles like Katamari Damacy or Gungrave: Overdose!  These little gems sneak up on you and just brighten your day when you try it.

The creature designs were really creepy, and the descriptions are delightful

Probably the one that stands out the most to me is Shadow Hearts.  I love JRPGs, but this one seemed a little too silly when I started out.  The hero was half-Japanese, half-Russian and spent the opening minutes being aloof and "hardcore-badass!"  I was, admittedly turned off.  But then battles started, and I was hooked.  Here I thought I was playing a generic JRPG with forced "attitude" and a lame, cliched story.  Instead, I got a game that wormed it's way into my heart.  The characters grew/developed (except the whiny kid), the story took all sorts of twists and turns, and, in the end, the game surprised me with a touching ending.




I love nearly everything about this game.  The battles that force you to rhythmically tap a button to hit, the side quests for more powerful weapons were fun and the writing, while it started off slow and is still corny, got much better.  I cannot recommend this game and the first sequel enough.  If you are a PS2 JRPG fan, look for this game!  It may surprise you like it did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment