Saturday, December 3, 2011

30 Days of Gaming: Day 3

Day 3 - Favorite Classic Game


Hmm.  What would be considered a "classic" game?  I suppose I should go with something from my childhood.  And, one that springs to mind fastest is Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego.  I had this gem on the Commador 64 and I used to play it for hours!  Loaded with questions based on history, Carmen Sandiego games were fun challenges.  I had always loved history stuff (thanks again to my father), but this really drove it home.  When questions that I'd previously answered would come up again, I was always happy because I knew the answer.  Little kid me used to be so proud that I could solve the cases (really, just answer all the questions) without just guessing until I got it right.  It didn't matter that the game was educational, it was fun to play and I honestly learned from it.

Chasing the red-clad villainess through history!

The series as a whole was pretty cool, too.  They had typing tutors, grammar lessons, spelling lessons and geography.  My parents had purchased the adventure in Time and I loved it so much that we got Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego soon after.  That one taught contemporary geography and I played it to death.  I remember sitting downstairs at the computer trying to solve a quick case before walking to school and rushing down after finishing homework to do another.  That was the draw: it was so fun that I didn't care that I had just done school work and was doing more.  Plus, I always aced Geography and History tests.  Maybe this series is why.

Searching the world for stolen monuments!

I still enjoy the series, and I wish we saw more of them.  I would love to see that red trench and fedora more today.  Plus, it would be an excuse to revive the TV quiz show that had the amazing theme song!

I know some of you know this by heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment