Thursday, December 8, 2011

30 Days of Gaming: Day 8

Day 8 - Favorite Character



Oh, this one is super difficult. Well written characters are one of the driving reasons I buy video games. If there isn't a strong character, I usually lose interest rather quickly. I suppose I'll just throw out a few and give reasons as to “why” because I cannot just pick one. There may be spoilers to game plots in my elaborations, so be forewarned. They are in no particular order other than train-of-thought.


Judge Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII): This man is a favorite because he is so conflicted. His home-land was destroyed and the only chance, as he saw it, was to join the side that defeated him and make a name for himself there. His twin, Bosh, chose to fight on, thus leading to some powerful scenes when the brothers meet. Gabranth is tragic, and flawed, but ultimately redeemable and sympathetic. Powerful stuff.

Gabranth, as seen in the PSP Final Fantasy: Dissidia

Hiro (Suikoden II): This poor lad was chosen by fate to hold the Bright Shield Rune. Destiny dictated that he must fight the holder of the Black Sword Rune, his best friend Joei. Hiro's rise from peasant boy to revolutionary leader is filled with loss, betrayal, wonder, hope and sadness. Hiro does it all without talking much, or really having traditional “depth,” but he is a likeable character, and his drive to save his sister, friends and country are timeless traits. It's really why that game is one of my all-time favorites to play.

Hiro (or whatever you'd like to name him) from Suikoden II

Commander Shepard (Mass Effect series): Oh, Fem-Shep, my secret [well, not now] love. For a character that you make (image-wise at any rate), the tale of humanity's hero is brought to life by two critical things: 1) My choices and 2) Voice actress Jennifer Hale. In a game all about choices, big and small, I really felt a sense of ownership of Shepard. She was my avatar, my making and someone I came to enjoy spending hours with shooting batarians and chatting with a stellar mix of characters from across the galaxy (no pun intended). All of this is greatly enhanced by the amazing job Hale does at bringing gravitas and emotion to what are otherwise static text choices. Unlike my Dragon Age: Origins character, who had more options for responses and was more “me” than Shepard, the silent stare didn't endear her to me. Shepard, though, made each choice matter. Her compassion for a wronged quarian, her anger toward a soldier-turned-human trafficker, her resolve to see the impossible mission through to the end; hearing the underlying emotion made my story of Shepard mean something.

One of Shepard's many avatars (mine is actually pretty close to this)

Nathan Drake (Uncharted series): This one is kind of a no-brainer. Drake is a loveable rogue that not only adventures effortlessly, but also banters and manages to come across not as a tool or typical action hero, but as a guy, a guy who happens to be in the middle of a Tibetan town under siege by a psychotic warlord. Again, his voice actor, the ubiquitous Nolan North, makes all the difference. Great animations make the exchanges that much more realistic, but North's delivery of the lines brings out a likeable personality, just as Harrison Ford did for Indiana Jones.

Oh, Nathan Drake.  He's so dreamy...

I'll stop there for fear of going on for ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment