Saturday, December 10, 2011

30 Days of Gaming: Day 10

Day 10 - Character You Feel You are Most Like (Or Wish You Were)


Hmmm.  I've been stuck on this one for a long time.  Honestly, one of the things I like about game characters is that they are able to be more.  Whether that's more athletic, resilient, fearless, evil, good, whatever.  Game characters can just be so much "more" than possible.  Also, there will be minor SPOILERS in some descriptions for Alan WakeRed Dead Redemption, and Final Fantasy XIII.  You've been warned.



I suppose that I'm most like Alan from Alan Wake.  He's successful, but it still seems like something is missing.  He struggles with his own demons as well as parts of his personality.  Sure, he's friendly enough and people like him, but he also has that side that he tries to keep boxed up.  That hair-trigger anger, that mean streak when he gets angry.  I can relate to these things.  Wake and I both struggle with the human condition, and while he fights off darkness/metaphors in a twisted nightmare I try to keep bettering myself through the mundane (by comparison) trials of life.  Not really riveting stuff, but it's true.  Wake is a bit more realistic than the tortured protagonists from the Silent Hill series, and that's why I'm most like him (I suppose).

Writer Alan Wake VS the Darkness

Now, who would I like to be like?  Well, this one is a bit more manageable.  I would love to be more like John Marston in Red Dead Redemption.  Marston is a man of conviction.  He sticks by what he promises, even if he knows it will only end in tears.  He's fearless, a bit reckless and always honest.  This makes playing him as a complete bastard funny because he is always polite, but having him say "Howdy, ma'am" in a cut-scene right after dragging the sheriff behind his horse and tying him to the train tracks is just silly.  The character written is a gentleman from another era, something I strive to be but fall short most days.  I would love to have his cool demeanor and impeccable manners.  Being an amazing hunter/outdoorsman and crack shot would be pretty awesome, too.

Marston in another rough spot

And the last one is a bit odd.  I would love to be a bit more like Vanille from Final Fantasy XIII.  No, I'm not saying I'd like to be a woman.  She has some terrible memories locked up in her head.  She's seen/done some terrible things.  And yet, through all that, she still puts on a cheery face and stares life's troubles down with a smile and a peppy attitude.  When she does get depressed, it's fleeting and then BAM! she's back being a ball of positive energy.  I would love to have that kind of appreciation for daily life and to be able to face troubles with a smile on the outside.  Her optimism would be nice to have, I think.  I'm a bit too much of a realist (or pessimist, depending on who you are asking) for my own good.  I would like to have that child-like sense of wonder/awe and the optimistic smile that Vanille wears even when all seems lost.

Vanille, ever the cheery one

OK, enough of the self-analyzing stuff.  These characters are also pretty cool in their own right.  I'm not really sure how I feel about all the above stuff.  I'm sure if I came back to this in a month (or even next week) that my answers would change.  Still, it is what it is.  I'm just glad the rest of these are more silly (or maybe I shouldn't have taken this one so seriously).

No comments:

Post a Comment